Celebrating Women's Month - Interview with Zaza Motha

Zaza Motha
As we continue to celebrate Women’s Month this August, Engel & Völkers Southern Africa had the privilege to chat to some of SA’s most influential woman, and gain some insight into their lives on both a professional and personal level by delving into their property insights and preferences.

This week we focus on Zaza Motha, an Award-winning journalist & founder of POUT

Q]     What impact do you think woman's right to vote had on our country?
A]     I will speak from my personal experience on this issue. The impact has been tremendous. I was made aware of the right to vote in 1994. This was a few years after my mom was killed when I was seven, towards the end of apartheid. She was shot in front of her six kids and that left a lot of scars but filled me with a fire to tell the world my story…hence my decision to become a journalist. The right to vote for all women, has afforded me the opportunities that I'm enjoying today. I'm now a journalist with a business because of all the sacrifices that were made to get humanity to this point. I have also partnered with Constitution Hill for the 60th Anniversary of the 1956 Women's March to the Union Buildings. We will be marching from Newtown's Mary Fitzgerald Square to Constitution Hill in Braamfontein to honour the women who have fought for our rights, and to also pass on the baton to the younger generation of women.

Q]     What is your motto in life?
A]     My motto that I strongly believe in is from my business which I run called POUT (a self-empowerment movement for young women, which stands for Powerful, Outstanding, Unique & Talented). The motto is : “You are Powerful beyond measure, Outstanding for every effort  that you make, Unique for there is no one like you & Talented because you are blessed with the ability to contribute to society”.

Q]     Describe yourself in 3 words?
A]     Ambitious, funny, adventurous.

Q]     How do you conquer fears?
A]     I use the mind-over-matter approach. It's always worked for me since I was in primary school. There are certain tools and methods that one can utilise on a daily basis to remain calm in order to achieve a goal. When I need that extra support, I have a very strong network of wise men and women whom I can call on for their counsel. Another perspective on an issue can inspire you to greater heights.

Q]     What has been the biggest risk you have ever taken?
A]     Starting my own business.

Q]     What is the best advice you have ever been given in business, and who gave it to you?
A]     The best advice has been from my mentor Zeona Jacobs – she is currently the Director of Marketing & Corporate Affairs at the JSE. I met her when I was 18 (through Cell C Take-A-Girl-Child-To-Work-Day), she owned an advertising agency back then. She told me that I must never rush to get into business, but rather understand what I'm doing so I can truly own it so I can enjoy the fruits of my labour. I'm glad I listened to her. She still mentors me till this day.

Q]     What is your take on property investments?
A]     Property is one way to build wealth. I believe that every girl should dream of owning her home, the way she dreams of finding her prince and walking down the aisle. Girls should be encouraged to be property owners as much as boys are encouraged to invest in property.

Q]     Which room in your home is most important?
A]     Definitely the kitchen. I love food and I enjoy cooking. It's my safe place…a place where I can experiment and get lost in flavours. It is pure bliss for me.

Q]     Do you have any interior style tips you can share with us?
A]     I love simple and classic lines. If you are thinking of renovating a space, always go for clean lines and add a touch of colour or the latest trends using items which can be easily replaced every season.

Comments